Blog

Blog

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Story behind the Song

Like everyone else in the world I love music.  I can't say I have a favorite.  I listen to everything from soft rock to hard rock, from some jazz to R&B.  One of my favorite artists which comes as no surprise if you know me well is Barbara Streisand.  I love all of her songs. I have been known to listen to Barry Manillo as well, Def Leopard, Chris Daughtry, Tayler Swift, and  Harry Connick Jr.  As you can see I span the spectrum.  I know, I know some are not most people's favorites, but I ask you have you ever listened to a song?  I mean really listened to the story that unfolds as the song is sung?

I have, and I have to tell you that the depth of the words, the meaning of songs are so deep it can be touching.  Most songs come from real life experiences.  I don't care if you don't believe me, that's fine, you don't have too. 

Many songs old and new started not as an idea, but as an event that happened in people's lives.  The song grew from a feeling.  That is what song's do.  They make us feel something.  They tell a story.  My favorite part of listening to music is hearing the story.

Many people listen to music when they write to put them in a certain mood to write a story.  I listen to music, to hear a story.  If you wrote a song instead of a book what would your song be?  Would it be soft rock, pop, R&B, Jazz. Share I'd love to hear it.  My song?  I don't know, depends on my mood, but it will definitely tell a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment