Blog

Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

Puppies: We love them

If you have ever had a puppy you know that they require a lot of work and demand a lot of your attention.  You must constantly watch what they are doing and where they are doing it.  They must be feed, walked, and given a safe warm place where they can escape when they need to. There are doctor's visits and vaccines they are required to get. Oh, and let's not forget the yearly license.  All of which cost money, a lot of money.  They must to taught to follow the rules of the house and they need to be told who the alpha is.

Now if you think any of this is easy, you have never had a puppy.  My family got a new puppy in late August.  At the time he was too tiny to do much of anything distructive. We needed to carry him going down the stairs because, well let me put it this way, it was a long way down.  He couldn't jump on the furniture because it was to far up.  He was a baby in every sense of the word.

Guess what.  Just like human babies, puppies grow up. Our puppy is no longer a baby, he is a toddler in every sense of the word.  He can now go down the steps on his own, still a challenge, but he can do it.  He can now jump on my couch. He is teething too, so every shoe he finds in fair game. Oh and on the ball field when I take him with me to the boys games and practices, he loves to eat anything he finds.  I've decided his favorite is chewing gum.  Gross!  I can't tell you how many times I have taken gum out of his mouth despite his protests.  I've decided to buy stock in purell.

Yes, puppies are a lot of work and in many ways they are like babies, but how can you resist those big brown eyes, those big floppy ears, and that inquisitive side tilted stare?  I can't I'll tell you that and neither can my family.  Rascal has lived up to his name, and he is worth all the effort.

What about you?  Do you have a pet who is more family then pet?  Share with me.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your puppy is a handful, but fun. We have three boys who are our boys! They are part of the family, not just animals. They are so spoiled too. :)

    ReplyDelete