Blog

Blog

Thursday, September 16, 2010

What's For Dinner

How many times have you asked that question?  Or better yet, my favorite, "What should I make for dinner?"  There was a time in my life when I didn't have to ask that question because my mother would always be the one who was asking it.  Now times have changed and it's my turn. 

I remember setting the table as my mother cooked dinner.  Sometimes it was a quick meal so we can run out the door to a sporting even either my sister or I had, other times it was a nice slow cooked meal that you couldn't wait to taste. 

When I was home while my kids were little I'd be the one cooking the slow cooked meals.  I'd put a chicken in the oven turn on the timer and jump on the treadmill, or clean the house and do laundry.  How times have changed.  These days my kids are a little older, and they have all kinds of activities that leave little time for dinner. So the question of  'What is for dinner actually becomes a stressfull one because there is literary no time to make it, never mind eat it.  I didn't realize back then how much I would miss the days of cooking all day long and serving up a nice hot meal to my husband and kids when they came home at the end of the day.  I really miss it.  Not that I want to do that day in and day out. The point is it reminds me of simplier times, and simplier days. 

Ever feel like that?  Ever want to stop the running from activity to activity and just enjoy your family over a nice slow cooked hot meal, and linger over the family for a while?  I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment