Blog

Blog

Monday, October 18, 2010

Rascal Has a New Trick

I'm sure many of you have read that my family has a new puppy.  He is a tri-color King Charles Cavalier. His name is Rascal, and so far he has lived up to it.  Rascal is and I take this quote from  Melinda Long's children's book How I Became A Pirate, "He's a digger he is."  I love that book!  Anyway  Rascal loves to dig when ever I take him to the ball field to watch the boys practice.  He'll digs like crazy, then pick up his face covered with dirt, sneeze out the dirt and continue to dig.  He can sniff, sneeze and digs for hours, or at least until  he gets tired.  Then he decides to curl up on my lap and take a nap.  It's our usual routine.

Well as the weeks have gone by I have told you that Rascal has gotten bigger.  My baby puppy is now a toddler, and oh what a toddler he is.  The other day Rascal gave my whole family a scare.  We were eating dinner and all of a sudden we heard Rascal cry.  Yes, there is a difference between a dogs' bark, and a dog's  cry.  This was definitely a cry.  We all jumped and ran to see what happened.  Turns out Rascal had climbed onto a folding table that my husband was using to work on and fell off of it.  He hurt his paw when he landed. He's fine now, but oh what a scare.  That's Rascal for you,  he's a digger he is, and turns out a climber too.

Well now Rascal has a new trick.  Yesterday I had the boys put Rascal in his crate before we left for school and work.  Now, Rascal goes into the crate for his SAFETY.  I don't think I need to explain that one.  I came home at lunch for Rascal's lunch time walk, only to be greeted by Rascal at the door.  Of course I asked him what he was doing out of his crate, but he was too busy wagging his tail and licking me to answer. So I put on his leash and gave him his much needed walk.   When I came in I did a quick inventory of the house, after not finding anything that needed to be picked up and cleaned I was very happy.  I put Rascal back into his crate and locked it.  When I came home Rascal was still in his crate.

The following morning the boys put Rascal in the crate again before school and work. Again during lunch I came home to give Rascal his lunch time walk.  Guess what?  Rascal ran into the room so fast to welcome me home that he skidded into me.  Yup, Rascal got out again.  He wagged his tail and jumped at me in excitement.  I just shook my head and put his leash on.  After our walk I put Rascal back into the cage and investigated the house again.  Once again nothing was to be found. Yay!

So, now I'm suspicious.  Is Rascal spending his morning tampering with the cage trying to figure out the locking mechanism so he can run around the house sleeping in all the sunny spots?  Is he really that smart?  Or is he getting help from the boys?  Interesting.


2 comments:

  1. And that's the problem with having both kids and animals in the same house... they'll always have each other to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hear it now. It wasn't me, It wasn't me.! It wasn't me! LOL.

    ReplyDelete