Blog

Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Beginning of the End

No this blog has nothing to do with the end of the world.  I'm not that dramatic.  No, this blog is about what everyone is talking about these days, Harry Potter. 

My husband started reading the series by J.K. Rowling when the first Harry Potter book came out.  He loved them right off the bat and encouraged me to read them as well. So as soon as he was done with the first book and started the second, I gave the first book a go. Sorry folks but I just couldn't get into the story.  I wanted to, I knew it was a good story.  I heard the media hype, but I usually don't pay much attention to that too be honest.  I go by my gut, if I want to read something I will, it's as simple as that.  Just by reading the back of the book I knew it was a good story, but I still couldn't get through the first chapter.

Now, don't get me wrong, because I love Harry Potter.  I knew that as soon as I watched the first movie.  I was hooked,  and I couldn't wait for the next movie to come out.  The imagination J.K. Rowling has is amazing.  She has real talent. If she didn't millions of people wouldn't be flocking to buy the books and the movie tickets.  I can't wait to see the last of the Harry Potter movies, and I honestly am sorry to see them end.

What about you? Have you ever had a hard time getting through a book, just to find you love the movie?  Please tell me I'm not the only one out there.  Share your thoughts, what book did you have a hard time getting though, just to love in the end? 

9 comments:

  1. I have not read the books and have only seen bits and pieces of a few movies. I'm sorry I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the HP books as well as the movie. However, I couldn't get into Lord of the Rings books, but I enjoyed the movie. I can usually watch a movie after I've read a book, but I have no real interest in reading a book after I've watched a movie of it (for instance, Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief). I guess I like the surprise of the ending, and the slow reveal of events while reading a book, too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Lord of the Rings books and movies. It was the first time I ever read a book after I watched the movie (the first mover that is). It actually made reading the book easier to understand because their is so much information in there to absorb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind slow books, so I'd have a hard time saying. I will second The LOrd of the Rings. Boy does that man love his words...

    I've read books before that I thought should have skipped being a book and just been a movie... Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that totally counts! I think there are many out there. There are also some that should have stayed just a book, because lets face it, some times the movie ruins it. Eragon was like that for me. I loved the book, but the movie left out to many important parts to shorten the film and ruined it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again! I've awarded you a Versatile Blogger Award today! Come fetch the award image to post on your blog and pass on to others:
    Artzicarol Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi yet again!
    I posted this on my blog too, in case others have this question, but this is how you claim your award image:

    Right click on the award and select Save Image. Save it on your computer where you can find it. Then (on Blogger) you can post it on your blog sidebar from the Dashboard > Design area, selecting Add Gadget and then Add Picture and Browse (to get it from your computer).

    Need more help? Write to me at artzicarol [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  8. But no no no no! Honestly, the movies don't do the books justice. Besides from the first HP movie, I've always found them disappointing. But, my son is with you on that. He bypassed all but the first two books for the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just goes to show how subjective the entertainment business is! There is something for everyone! :-)

    ReplyDelete