Blog

Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Birthday Parties

Here's one for you to think about.  How many times can you plan your child's birthday party year after year and not run out of different things to do?  That is my quandary right now as my son turns another year older this winter.

In years past (I'm aging myself here) when you had a birthday party you invited five to eight friends over and basically had a big play date, had cake and ice cream, opened presents and they went home, or if you were lucky and old enough you had  a sleep over.

In today's day and age though everything is planned out to the point where you have to have a budget for a simple child's birthday party. Oh that's right, birthday parties aren't simple anymore.  No today you have to hire Bozo the Clown (Does anyone even remember Bozo?), or some traveling reptile show, or creepy crawler animals show. Oh the list goes on and on.  Don't get me wrong, I think those parties are a blast too, and I'm the parent, but they are also a lot of work.

Still I was so happy the few times my kids said they actually want to have their party at home.  Nothing special, just play with their friends and have cake.  (I think I did something right) because this year that is exactly what my son asked for.  He wants his party at home with just a few friends.  I'm so proud of his simplicity.

As parents we are so busy trying to give our kids the best party ever, we forget that sometimes, the best party is just being with your friends.

2 comments:

  1. I have great ideas until their birthday comes around again and then I find myself doing last minute cake shopping...

    ReplyDelete