Blog

Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Pact- And Teen Suicide

I am not one to normally read a book and give someone my review on it.  I personally find books to be subjective to a persons taste.  Many times people have told me that I have to absolutely read such and such a book. Then I'll either borrow it or buy the book and start to read it only to find I can't get through it.  Why?  It just wasn't for me.  Not that the book is bad, it's just not my style.  It happens.  Let me read the back cover and decide for myself if I think I'm going to like it.  That is why I don't review books. 

That said, I'm making an exception here.  I have recently picked up the book The Pact by Joyce Picoult.  I have seen her books before in Barnes & Noble and I knew I would like her writing, but there was always another book I wanted to read as well.  This time I finally picked one up, it was not an easy decision. I wanted to read them all.  I finally decided to pick The Pact.  Having small kids part of me knew this might be a hard book to get through emotionally, but I becided to give it a shot anyway.  I'm so glad that I did.

The book is wonderfully written.  I love how Joyce has dedicated a scene or chapter to specific characters so the reader can see the story through their eyes. I won't say to much about the book itself in fear of giving away to much of the story, but I will say: it is a book that parents should read, and teenagers as well.  It is heart warming and heart wrentching as well.

In the face of a world today where bullying and teen suicide is on the rise because of all the added pressure put on kids, it is extermenly important that we as parent's take notice of our children's behavior and talk to them, or at least set the atmosphere where they feel comfortable coming to talk to you.  The world is changing and a lot of pressure is put on kids today. Some of the pressure is old news, (getting good grads, making the team, getting into college. Some are new, being perfect, money, cars, boyfriends, girlfriends  the list go on).  The reason doesn't matter, what matter's is the pressure is there, and we need to let these kids know that they are not alone, and it will get better.  As the holidays approach we all need to remember that the holidays can also be a hard time for young kids and teens who have lost loved ones as well, so we need to keep that in mind as well.

How do you keep the conversation flowing?

No comments:

Post a Comment