Blog

Blog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

What Happened to Family Events?

Most of you who frequent my blog know that I am NOT a complainer.  I try to see the positive side, at least for the purpose of this blog, but there are some things that just rub me the wrong way.  Please understand this is only my opinion, and it is my blog so technically I can rant if I want to, and I want too.

I have been trying to understand over the course of the past few years what has happened to the family unit.  When I was little understandably many families lived closer together and they leaned on each other for day to day things more then they do today.  So when there was an event, say a wedding, or a birthday party, the WHOLE family was invited to attended, not just the parents.

I'd love to bring my kids with me to these functions. It is important for them to experience these family get togethers. They are just as important as holiday get togethers!  My parents and my friend's parents always brought us.  Yes, there were times when we needed to have a babysitter, but not so often.  These days children are not invited to weddings especially because of the cost.  Hello people this is a family event!  You committed yourself to one person for the rest of your life and made a family.  Okay there are only two of you now, but it probably won't stay that way. Maybe I'm the only one who see things this way.

Today with the economy what it is and families not living close to each other you would think that this unity would be foremost and important in every one's mind.  I can't tell you how many times I have spoken to parents who have a hard time finding babysitters for their young kids because they can't find teenagers who babysit anymore.  Teenagers today are getting "real" jobs, or don't want to babysit anymore.  Why I don't know because it's the easiest money you can make.  How hard is it to sit around and read a book or watch TV for a few hours while the kids sleep and go home with 40-50 bucks in your hand?  I just don't get it.
But today teens don't want to babysit and family members are attending the same function you are so they can't babysit either.  Not to mention many of us can't afford the 40-50 bucks you are spending on the babysitter in the first place.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned. Tell me what you think. Please give me a clue, because I have a hard time believing I'm alone on this one.  What is your opinion?    I'll be hunting for my babysitters phone number I lost. And yes, I did find another one. Thank you Day Care Center!

1 comment:

  1. It amazes me that teens don't want to babysit. I loved to babysit as a teen. Like you said it was the easiest money. Unfortunately kids today are part of the ME generation. They want everything without working for it. My daughter has that entitlement attitude from time to time, but I put her in check.
    She's 13, the prime age for babysitting and she looks down on it.
    I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete