Blog

Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Walk Down Memory Lane

I went to the book store this weekend and was amazed at how many people were in the store.  I shouldn't have been.  People were out still buying Christmas presents. It felt reassuring actually to see so many people in the book store buying books, especially with all the talk of Kindle books everything.

I was there for two reason, the first, I was almost done with my book and knew I was going to need a new one soon.  Yes, I'm one of those people who always has to read book.  As soon as I finish one, I pick up another.  The other reason I went to the book store is to do some research.  I wanted to see what was on the selves these days in different genres and what people were writing about.

I browsed the children's area and looked at some picture books, there are definitely some new and creative idea out there that are wonderful.  Then I browsed the teen area and I have to say I was a little disappointed.  Most of the books seemed to sway towards vampires and very girly books.  Now I really can't talk because I don't have a teenage boy or girl so I honestly don't know what the interests are. All I have to go on is what is  on the shelves.  The amount of contemporary stories lines was slim compared to fantasy with vampires, or stories about mean girls.  And the amount of books geared towards teenage boys were very slim also. The books there dealt with Gothic topics mostly.  I ask you, is this what teenagers are interested in readings these days?

I took a walk over to the literature section and that is when I found myself walking down memory lane.  All the books that I grew up reading, either by assignment or for enjoyment were on the shelves full force.  I stopped and leafed through A Separate Peace,  The Count of Montechristo, the Catcher in the Rye, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  I almost bought A Separate Peace just to read again, but I have a hard time reading a book twice, although it's been so long I doubt if that would be a problem.

When did these books move over to the literature section?  These, works have a message that hold true today just as they did then.  Or am I just getting old?  I don't think so.  Maybe I just see things differently now then I did then, and teenagers haven't changed, I have.  Hey it's possible?

I am a believer that all things come full circle in life.  Since the books from my memory lane seemed to be out full force it gives me hope that they will find their way into the hearts of the teenagers today as well, either by force or enjoyment.  Especially since classics never die.  I wonder when and if English Literature will ever become a part of a history lesson?


What do you think about the stories lines today?

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, that IS what teenagers are into these days. Though, truth be told, a lot of the over abundance of vampire novels has to do with the success of series like Twilight, Vampire Academy, etc. Lots of copycats writing about what is "hot" at the moment.

    And sadly, the reason I think there aren't more books for teenage boys, is because they haven't proven to be that big of a demographic. In general, a teen boy is more likely to want to spend his spare time playing on his Xbox...whereas teen girls don't mind reading about fantasy love and adventure.

    But whenever I go to the bookstore its always filled with people, so I can never understand when I hear about stores going out of business. Guess I just live in a well-read area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on that one. My book store is always filled. So I was surprised to hear that Barnes and Noble is having a hard time. What's with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. We have a VERY small bookstore where I live and almost ALL of the teen books are geared for girls who want paranormal in some way or another. The number of black covers in the teen sections rivals that of the horror section.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah paranormal is hot and it is hard for YA contemporary writers to get attention unless it has a good hook, like an "issue" topic or heavy on the romance. But the important thing is that teens are reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is key. I remember introducing the book The Outsider's to a teenager I was tutoring in English at the time. It felt great to know he loved it. Sometimes a book has to be placed in their hands in order for them to read it.

    ReplyDelete