Blog

Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Lion King

On February 19th my family went to see The Lion King. It was a Christmas present from my in-laws.  My family, in-laws included went to see the matinee show.  My job was to find us a restaurant after the show for dinner.  The trick, was to find a restaurant in the area that wasn't to fancy and to be comfortable for my boys.  Finding a place wasn't as hard as I thought and the it was a success.

Now if anyone has not seen The Lion King on stage I strongly recommend that you do so.  If you get a chance to go, go.  It was well worth it.  But, I already know the story, you might say.  I don't care, it 's not about knowing the story already, it's about seeing the amazing things creators can do with make up, costumes and music. As the show opens the actors walk down the isles in full costume singing the opening song.  That was when I lost it the first time.  No one told me I was going to need tissues.  Yes, you heard me right, I cried.  The beauty of it all just got me to.  I'll give you a little spoiler, it was the last time during the show that I cried either.  I was happy to find I was not the only one.

I was very pleased with the the performance of all of the actors.  They did a fabulous job, and the singing was superb.  The only compliant I have was the actors portraying Scar and Mufasa.  While these actors were very good in there own right, I felt like they were trying to be Jeremy Irons, and James Earl Jones.  These two actors in my mind just can not be recreated.  There voices are very distinct and wonderful. (can you tell I'm a fan?) and should not try to be re-created.  I would have preferred if they took more confidence in their role and made the characters their own.  But this is only my point of view and you are free to disagree, besides, the actors might have been different when/if you saw it.

Okay, back to the praise.  There were only two other times I saw tears, the first was the scene where Rafici tells Simba he knows who he is.  This scene touches me every time.  With me it's a personal thing.  If you have ever lost someone very close to you, I think you know what I'm talking about.  Love that scene, such depth, such emotion, such love.  Okay enough.  the other thing that got me in this scene was the way they created the clouds to look like Mufasa.  Obviously it wasn't really clouds and other material was used, but it was brilliant all the same.  I think I know how they did it, but I'll never be sure.

The last scene I cried was at the end.  How can you not?  The hero wins in the end, we all know that. The main character prevails.

I love children's stories.  I love the depth of their characters, the emotions they have to deal with, and the change in their characters as the story develops.  I swear I have cried at just about every children's movie I have seen.  Many times I go to see these plays, movies, etc.. and people walk away from it and say it was great, with smiles on their faces.  I walk away with a smile on my face and tears in my eyes.  Did they not get the bigger message of the story?  Did they not peel back the layers and see the brilliance of it all?

The message in these stories are so much bigger then what we imagined it would be.  Did you miss the message?  Tell me.  I know I didn't miss it.  I live it every day.  Do you?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the Lion King, but I did get to work with the costume designers for the 2002 Winter Olympics. Totally awesome experience! I will have to go take my kiddos when they are a teensy bit older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED the Lion King. And I too, am a complete sucker for good children's stories.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete