Blog

Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Super Bowl and The National Anthem

 I'm writing this post as the super bowl is starting.  So a quick FYI, if you are looking for results or praise for either team you will not get it here.  I am not a super bowl fan, although I do like watching the game.  It is pretty much one of the only games I watch all season long and I don't even watch all of it.

No, this post is really about the entertainment.  I love watching the entertainment before the show.  It is usually short, but the message is very strong.  I listened to the actress from Glee sing America the Beautiful and I was touched.  She did a wonderful job and she has a beautiful voice.  And when Christina Aguilar sang the National Anthem, as usual I got teary.  Yes I'm one of those people, I am very patriotic so when ever I hear our National Anthem, sung or instrumental I get teary eyed.

My Dad was a Sea Bee in Vietnam so I think that adds to my personal feelings.  But I'm getting side tracked.  What I want to talk about is the National Anthem.  For those of you who don't know or forgot this song started as a poem.  A poem written by Francis Scott Key, a soldier who wrote the American Anthem  in the middle of the war of 1812.   The poem was originalyl titled Defense of Fort M'Henry.  If you would like to read more on the history click over to "The story of the Star Spangled Banner." Mike Todd does a great job of explaining the history in detail.

Francise's Scott Key probably never thought his poem would be s sung or such an inspiration , never mind that his poem would touch so many lives for so many generations.  As you read the words, or hear the song sung, you can't help but to picture the American Flag standing tall in the early morning dawn as the smoke from the gun fire and rain is lifting off the ground.  It is a powerful image.  How can you not feel the emotion and the pride in the words.  It's impossible.  Just to prove my point read the words for yourself.  I clicked over to scout songs to get the words.  I was happy to find that they have the entire poem on their sight.  I wonder how many people have read the entire Anthem?  I know I have, but it has been so long, it was nice to read it again. Thank you scoutsongs.com for the information and the little information before the words.  Don't forget to tell me what you think after it.

The Star Spangled Banner

In 1814, Francis Scott Key wrote the poem, Defense of Fort McHenry. The poem was later put to the tune of (John Stafford Smith's song) The Anacreontic Song, modified somewhat, and retitled The Star Spangled Banner. Congress proclaimed The Star Spangled Banner the U.S. National Anthem in 1931.

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that. I get teary at the Star Spangled Banner too. So majestic sounding, and inspiring...sigh! May we all write stories that affect our readers in the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete