Blog

Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Jeopardy and Watson

I'm not sure how many of you watch the game show Jeopardy.  I'm not sure how many of you watch  The Discovery Channel either but in today's day and age the two entirely different shows have merged.

My husband bless his heart is a computer geek.  It always amazes me what he can do with a computer, or iPhone for that matter to make our daily lives more efficient.  Every once in a while when there is nothing to watch on TV he turns on the Discovery Channel. Now usually I don't complain because truth be told, many of their topics are very interesting. Hey, I'm a curious bird and I want to know.

Anyway this one particular show was all about, you guessed it computers, but not just any type of computers, robots to be exact.  Turns out IBM has been working on producing a computer that communicates more human like then others.  They named the computer Watson. You can check out the link to Watson here.  The whole idea around Watson is to have computers interact with humans as if they are human themselves.  It's hard to talk to a computer when they 1) have no idea what we are talking about and 2) They don't have the emotions to relate to .  The English language is a difficult  one to learn.  I mean how many words do we have that have more then one meaning.  Quite a few the last time I checked.

A few weeks later Watson, the computer was on Jeopardy. Well not Watson himself, but a portal, for the lack of a better word.  Watson himself takes up an entire room at IBM so there was no way Watson would be able to fit inside the studio.  Long story short. Watson creamed the contestants.  I missed half of it putting the boys to bed, but what I did see was pretty amazing.

Last night we watched The Discovery Channel again and their was another show on computers, robots to be exact.  This time it highlighted different people in different organizations trying to do basically the same thing, but the robots in their designs look like humans for humans.  These robots are being made to do human jobs, like get this taking care of our elderly, or babysit our children.  I'm sorry, but I have a major problem with this.  Making robots that look like humans to care for humans.  Hello, people need HUMAN interaction for a reason.  I don't care how wonderful the robot is, it's not human, and can never relate to a human the way a human needs a human to relate to them. And there is majorly something wrong with a society that has robots taking care of our young and old.  Sound like there is a novel in there.  If you want it take it, not my thing.

Where do you stand on the subject?  Tell me, I'm curious!

1 comment:

  1. I would not want a robot taking care of an elderly parent or child. Like you said, I believe they need human interaction. I'm a huge Jeopardy fan. I DVR it every night, but I couldn't get into the three nights with Watson. I felt it impersonal. While I realize he killed the competition, it just wasn't something I could watch.
    Great subject today.

    ReplyDelete