Blog

Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

What do people want?

I have to admit I have been a little preoccupied lately.  I know my posts are all over the place, but that is the point isn't?  After all it's called Random Thoughts for a reason.  Lately though I have been wondering what catches a readers eye when it comes to a blog? I'm guessing it is the same as a book, the title, but what about after you have read the title and are in the meat and potatoes of the story?

I have scanned the blogs that I follow and it amazes me how random those topics are.  Not that they aren't good, they are actually very good.  I'd say the problem sits more with me.  There are so many different things going on in my life, and so many interests of mine that sometimes I forget about what the reader is looking to see. These area some of the thoughts that flow through my head at times:

I have been working on my WIP and I am proud to say that I should (if plans go accordingly) finish by the end of the summer.  Then I can start sending out my queries and synopsis this fall.  But I wonder, is this what my readers want to hear?

My puppy Rascal is turning a year old at the end of the month, and he is eaten his way through my house, books, shoes, towels, beds.  He is a ball of energy.  He is frustrating and lovable.  But is this what my readers what to hear?

My son is turning 10 this summer and I can't believe that I am going to be a mother of a pre-teen.  He only has one more year of elementary school and I am freaking out a little that he is no longer a baby.  Oh, he'll always be my baby, but he is going up so fast.  Do my readers care?

Money, jobs, stress, summer care, my WIP and summer/family activities are all on my mind. 

I know I sound like a newbie, I'm just trying to fine tune myself.  It might be time to start concentrating on one topic instead of  a whole bunch. I have a few ideas.  But I want to save that for another blog. 

In the mean time, don't be shy, what are you looking for in a blog?  To learn?  To be entertained?  To think?  Share with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment