Blog

Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

Wine not Whine

Have you ever been to a vineyard?  There is something magically romantic about it. I'm not sure if it is the multiple rows of beautiful full grapes on the vines, or the fragrance of the grapes in the air. I am not a big drinker, one glass of wine, and I am set for the night.  I'll hold on to the same glass all night long. Usually at when my husband and I go out to dinner or even have dinner at home he'll ask me if I'm going to finish my wine.  He doesn't want it to go to waste.  Let's face it a good bottle of wine isn't cheap, and I only like the expensive ones.  But just because I'm not big on wine doesn't mean I can't enjoy a walk though the vineyard.


I love tasting the different wines, finding out what food they pair best with, and of course cooking with it.  I live in the north east and when I found out how many vineyards there are in my area I was surprised.  Growing up I always thought of vineyards in California, or Italy, not Connecticut and Rhode Island.  Who would have thought?  Not me that's for sure. 


So playing the tourist in our current state of residence; my husband and I decided to make the trip to visit a few vineyards in our area.  Guess what?  We found a a few gems.  We two really.  The others were nice, beautiful really, with great wine, but lets face it, everyone has a favorite and we are no exception.


Two of our favorites (and I'm giving away free publicity here) are Anthony Edwards in North Stonington, Ct.
and Newport Vineyards in Middletown RI.


If you are ever in the area you will want to check them out.  Oh, and at Newport Vineyards you can be case members and get a discount.  Check out their websites below.




http://www.jedwardswinery.com/index.php


http://www.newportvineyards.com/

4 comments:

  1. I've never been a wine drinker myself, but I would love to visit vineyard if I'm ever in the area. There is something about them that just seems so tranquil.

    That, and they always conjure up visions of a young, very attractive Keanu Reeves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia,
    It's been a while how are you?

    I have to say I love red wine.
    The more expensive the better.

    When I lived in Ontario (Canada) my wife
    and I toured the vineyards in the Niagara region. A lot of fun and very educational.

    We have just moved to British Columbia which is another "hotspot" for vineyards and we are looking forward to touring these once we settle in.

    But I have to say the highlight for us was touring the "Wine Caves" in France.
    There is something to be said about walking through a place that has been making wine for over a thousand years. I remember my wife and I looking at rows and rows of dusty wine bottles locked behind large iron gates and then being in awe when we saw some of the dates dating back to 1200.

    Quite the experience and I recommend it if you ever get the chance. :-)

    Keep in touch,

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so thanks to Paul France is now on my most visit places! Thanks for the info Paul! It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love wine. I've never been to a vineyard before but sounds like something I should do. I, too, thought that the vineyards were in CA. I live in a rural NW PA area and there are actually vineyards not too far from me. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete