Blog

Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

Are you Ready? She's Coming!



Like many people I have been following the track of Hurricane Irene.  I should, I have two young boys, and I have honestly never been through a bad hurricane.  My husband has and he knows better then me what type of supplies we need.  This morning before either of us went to work he went to the grocery store to stock up.  He also bought water, batteries, and other supplies. He is now at our cabin on the pond tying down the boat and moving anything that might fly away into the shed or house.

Last year Rhode Island was hit with the 100 year flood.  That was fun.  I thank God that our house on the pond is on a hill so we didn't have water damage, but many people did on the pond. A good friend of mine had to redo her whole house because of it.  Many people had to call FEMA for emergency funding.  I was lucky, we didn't have too, my basement did get flooded though just like many others and they did have to call FEMA.

My boys are asking a lot of questions.  I answer the ones I know, others I either refer them to their father who has been though it, or tell them to watch the news, or look it up on the Internet (chaperoned of course).

Rhode Island is a small state, it is also surrounded by water.  There is a reason why it is called the ocean state, and as of now it looks like it is going to be bad.  School starts on Monday.  In my eyes it can't be a good omen to have the first day of school cancelled before it even starts.  It makes me wonder how bad this winter will be.

I have to admit, as nervous as I am, part of me doesn't think it can be THAT bad, can it?  I'm also a tiny bit excited, this is new to me.  New is scary, but it's also exciting.

Are your kids asking questions?  Are you nervous about the coming Storm?  Share with me, I'll be running errands making sure all our medicines are filled and we have soap, toothpaste, and deodorant.

9 comments:

  1. Cynthia, I grew up in Ohio so hurricanes were never something I experienced. Nor an earthquake. Here in RI we get BOTH in one week! But I've been married to a navy guy for 28 years, so we have always lived near the ocean and I've been through the drill many many times. 90% of the time the storms veer off at the last minute, but I don't know if Irene knows that. It is exciting, but scary. The howling wind will make you think you are going crazy. And once it's over, there's a lot of work to be done for clean up. Worst part with no electricity that means no ice (something we take for granted) so only a tepid beverage to cool you off. But I remember fondly the week we were without electricity after Isobel and we had such quality family time with no TV/Internet. We played board games by candlelight (I still have wax on Monopoly) and "camped out" in the house. Stay safe! And let us know how you fared when it's all over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! That sounds scary! And exhilarating. Crazy how the chance of disaster-- in whatever form-- can bring out the survival instincts, which also brings the sparks of new beginnings. Scary tinged with exciting. But for your sakes, I hope any damage is minimal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, good luck! I'm sure everything will be fine, but I can understand the worry. I have never been through anything like that and I hope I never have to although I'd love to visit Rhode Island because I hear it is beautiful. I hope you guys get through it without a hiccup. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, I live in NY, and we are supposedly in the path of Irene as well. I confess, I feel a little like you do - that it can't be THAT bad. I always feel like the weather people like to stir up drama :) Like in the winter when they make dire predictions of a foot of snow and we end up getting a bare inch! Wait and see is my motto :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've grown up with Earthquakes so hearing about one on the East Coast was a little baffling to me. Hurricanes are the main reason I stay on the West Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just checking in to say thank you to everyone. It's so great to know that we are not alone out here on the East Coast. Everyone stay safe and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in Florida, so of course, I've been through a hurricane or two. But fortunately, never a really bad one. Two years ago it looked like one was coming right up through the mouth, the bay, of Tampa, but it got bumped at the last minute.I'm hoping fortune smiles on you too.

    Thanks for the Liebster Award, sweetie! I'll display it with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I'm a fellow campaigner and hope for your sake that Irene fizzles. I'm really enjoying checking out everyone's blogs. live on a pond sounds lovely and about a million miles away from Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I am a fellow campaigner and Texan. I have lived on the gulf coast most of my life. I have gone through 2 thats right 2 hurricanes in the last 6 years...Ike and Rita both Cat. 3 storms. The weather reports always make them seem bad, because they can be bad. But from what I am seeing now you will get a lot of rain but not to terribly strong winds. So you should be fine. The wind during a hurricane is the worst. It seems like it will never end. Losing the electric can be scary while the wind is howling. But the kids will probably think it's a blast afterward. Cooking out on the grill, eating out of cans. Playing games and telling stories by candle lite.
    At least you wont have to contend with temps in the high 90s or low 100s this time of year.
    Stay safe and let us know how it goes.

    Pamela Jo

    ReplyDelete