Blog

Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

School? Really?



The first day of school is only days away for my boys.  I can't believe that my oldest is going into 5th grade and my youngest will be in 3rd.  I'm a little torn about the first day of school; part of me is looking forward to the boys getting back on a schedule of homework, piano, and CCD classes, but the other part of me still wants to enjoy the lazy days of the summer (although they haven't been very lazy).

Over the years I've learned to enjoy both.  Yes, I actually enjoy coming home from work and watching the boys get off the school bus, running inside grabbing a snack and sitting down with them to go over their spelling words, vocabulary, and reading with them.  Math?  Sorry, go to Daddy for that one.  Math was never my strong subject, never will be. 

There was a time when this part of the day was the witching hour in my house; tired, hungry, cranky boys in dire need of some food and down time.  As they have grown older though I have noticed the witching hour has moved closer to bed time.  Well, at least for my youngest it has.  You know the routine, "I'm not tired, I don't want to go to bed", then bothering the other one after you leave the room and then chaos begins.

I'm expecting those nights to increase a little bit now that school is around the corner, but not to worried because I've always made sure during the week they have gone to bed at a reasonable hour.  No, the part I'm not looking forward to is the school shopping.  I can't decide what is worse, buying the supplies that they never, or hardly use, or fighting with them that no they really don't need new sneakers.  Clothes I don't mind,  my boys love getting new clothes, as long as they can pick them out and I don't make them shop longer then an hour and a half.  That's okay, I can compromise.

School time also means less time for writing though.  If I'm strick with myself I can get it in after bed time, or just before while they are watching Johnny Test, iCarly, or Victorious.  I've done my query so now I  have to do my synopsis, and edit, I'm close to closing the book on this one and sending it out to agents; I can't wait.  My boys keep asking if they can sell my book in school.  I'm glad they are as excited as I am.  I like to give them updates and I enjoy their interest, who knows maybe some day they will be writing a book report on one of their mother's books.  Wouldn't that be cool?

What do you look forward to at the start of the school year?  What do you dread?  Check in and let me know.  I'll be trying to convince my son his back pack in fine for one more year.

5 comments:

  1. That's so sweet that you're boys want to sell your books at their school.

    My oldest son is going into grade 6, and the youngest one is going into grade 4. :D

    Sounds like we're almost at the same place in our writing. I'm working on my synopsis right now. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a relief to know we have gotten the nuts and bolts in, now we get to fine tune.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved the start of the school year. It makes me think of "You've Got Mail" when Tom Hanks tells Meg Ryan's character that fall makes him want to go out and buy school supplies. And that he would like to give her a bouquet of sharpened pencils. (Or something like that). I always loved that line though... however it goes. Just found your blog through Alex's Movie Blogfest. Nice to meet you. Doralynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can get your boys to shop for an hour and a half???!!! They must be angels :)

    And what is it with those lists of supplies schools insist we buy and then never use? I could start my own Staples out of the office closet!

    I feel the same way about the start of school, though... a little bittersweet. Good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a love/hate relationship about the first day of school. Always have, and probably always will :D

    My daughter was thrilled to go, though, so that's happy!

    ReplyDelete