Blog

Blog

Friday, August 12, 2011

Skateboards + Bones = X-Rays!



These past two weeks have been a whirled win for me. Between work, blogging, birthdays, and getting ready for the coming school year, I am behind in everything.  I haven't been home enough to clean, or do laundry, so you can imagine what my house looks like right now.  Tonight I'm hoping to get some of it done because tomorrow we are off to New York for my niece's 3rd birthday party.  (She's so cute!).

In the mist of all of this running around last Thursday I got a call from Tiffany. (You remember Tiffany from my previous post). She called to tell me that my youngest boy fell off his skateboard. (Yes he was wearing a helmet.) He landed on his hand and bent it all the way back. Och. She put ice on it but 15-20 minutes later he was still in pain. My youngest is not a Drama King so I was debating on whether I should worry.  I decided to worry and left work to check him out.  I told my boss I might be going for x-rays, and I'd call to let him know.  He told me to do what I have to do, and don't worry about it. Have I told you I have a GREAT boss? Well I do.

By the time I got to Tiffany's my son's hand was starting to swell.  Off we go to get x-rays.  Turns out he has a buckle fracture.  A what?  I've never heard of it.  When he landed on the ground the tiny round bones in the wrist pushed down to far pushing the other bone down causing a buckle to form on the bone.  I saw the x-ray, it was kind of cool.  It will straighten out on it's own but he has to wear a soft cast. At first he was excited to wear the cast, but as always the novelty has worn off though.

He had a check up on it today and the doctor is really happy with his progress, but he has to wear the soft cast for at least one more week though.  I told my son, at least it happened before school started.  Any one else have an exciting ending to summer yet?  Let me know, I'm a curious bird and I like to know I'm not in the boat alone.

3 comments:

  1. I can't beat that. I do have a similar incidence where my son performed a kung ku move on the coffee table with his foot, but that another story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soundes like a blog post in the works, you have peaked my interest:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there done that..My son has had a scaphoid fracture( hand) a boxer's fracture( hand) a buckle fracture ( wrist) etc , etc. He works with horses and the likes. Plus he rode bulls. I got so I told him "Don't tell em what your doing" lol.

    ReplyDelete