Blog

Blog

Monday, September 5, 2011

Challenge 1



Rach Writes has given the first Challenge, write a short fictional story totaling 200 words to be exact.  I found mine went over, so I had to cut.  It has to open with the words "The door swung open."  As an added challenge it needs to end with "The door swung shut."  Here is my entry, let me know how I did.

The door swung open. I glanced around the room not knowing what to expect. The matradee told me the room was being prepared for another wedding. I thought I'd find bare tables with workers all around busing themselves for tomorrow's wedding; instead I found white linen table clothes draped over large round tables. I counted twenty beautiful set of tables scattered around the room. The china was pure white with flecks of gold glistening off of the sconces, the silverware glistened next to the china making the tables almost glow in the dim light. The Dias stood near the back of the room; a long rectangle of a table draped in white linen with pink ribbon draped around the front and sides. Empty vases sat in the center of each table waiting for the flowers to arrive. Champagne glasses and napkins shaped as doves sat in front of every plate.

This was perfect. I scanned the room again drinking everything in. I needed to get back, I only had a few minutes. I stepped back and walked through the doorway watching the room disappear as the door closed shut.

32 comments:

  1. Cool, what a beautiful room! Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "needed to get back" "watching the room disappear" I have a feeling we're going back to another reality and I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm....I think I agree with Eliza's thoughts. ~ Nadja

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree... hints of something else going on in the undertone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish my wedding reception would've been that beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the rest. Great job. I failed the challenge. :( My hubby surprised me for my birthday with a party and a ton of out of town guests. I'm just now catching up on things. :) It was worth it though. I'll hit the next challenge. I have a great guest blogger today, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful scene laid out with the use of great imagery. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it but didn't see it as being from another time or heading to one. Maybe it's because I don't write that way. Mine is #72

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! Very well done and I like the descriptions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great descriptions of the room. I can totally imagine it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job - I didn't see anything otherworldly, though! New follower, stopping over from the campaign :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could picture the room - good job setting it up. Did make me wonder why the character was peeking in, too. New follower from the campaign here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful description. I could see the room in my mind's eye clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll second everyone else--great descriptions! I also wonder why she was in the room, was she scouting it out for someone? It definitely raised questions for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting description of the room, though I think maybe it should have been read through one more time before being posted ^^;; Personally, I didn't pick up on the vibe of something else going on, but that is just me. Keep at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All these stories are making me want to read more ... I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful..200 words is just too short!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic imagery! Having gone to a few weddings this summer, you took me right back to them. Great details! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just wanted to drop a note to everyone to say thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved the sensory images! Fellow Campaigner (Go Group 6!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Makes me want to know more about the character and what she's going back to. Loved the description.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is good imagery in this scene. However, I cannot quite see what the other commenters are referring to.
    I just finished my entry too, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great imagery. I love the 'another wedding' part. Not hers? Really makes me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, the 'another wedding' hint suggested many more things going on. I think I wanted just one more clue.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like it's going to be a gorgeous reception! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Agree with Amanda, sounds gorgeous. Next stop--short fiction becomes full legnth film. Romantic comedy perhaps? Or maybe something more fatasy in feel.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely room. Would have been a beautiful wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Makes me wonder what the MC has to get back for... seems like there's something else going on and I wonder what it is! Nicely written piece!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Now I am full of questions. There was a undercurrent there, I'm sure.
    You described a beautiful scene with some great imagery.

    ReplyDelete