Blog

Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Stand Out Synopsis: Contemporary MG

 
 
 
Today's synopsis comes from Christie Wright Wild. Her story is a middle grade contemporary, and after reading the 3 paragraphs she sent in, I think it's going to be a winner.  Now you know the rules, read the entry and post your comments to help Christie out in the comments section.  You know where mine will be. 
 
Title: GLEEK
Genre: Contemporary MG

Fifth grader, Art Schaeffer, nicknamed Gleek because he can "snake-spit" further than anyone in the school, loves to eat, but nobody can tell by looking at him because he's as picky and as skinny as his pet snakes. Although Gleek is the treasurer of the Math and Science Club, he cringes at the prospect of having to enter the upcoming Science Fair because he doesn't like to read, hates writing, and abhors spelling, all of which are necessary to create a winning entry.

Meet Cody Boggs aka Matso, the smartest math whiz in the school and a bit of a bully. He loves to eat and everybody can tell by looking at him because he'll eat anything. When Matso enters the fair with a strange food experiment, Gleek becomes suspicious and discovers Matso breaking lots of rules. 

Gleek wants to report Matso anonymously, but doesn't know how to submit an article to the school paper, much less how to write one. The closer Gleek gets to finding out Matso's secrets causes him to fear for his safety. Will Gleek find out a way to expose Matso before the judges of the Science Fair award the prizes? And will he do so with his limbs still intact?
See below my red lines.
Title: GLEEK
Genre: Contemporary MG

Fifth grader, Art Schaeffer, nicknamed Gleek because he can "snake-spit" further than anyone in the school.  He loves to eat, but nobody can tell by looking at him because he's as picky and as skinny as his pet snakes.  Although Gleek is the treasurer of the Math and Science Club, he cringes at the prospect of having to enter the upcoming Science Fair because he doesn't like to read, hates writing, and abhors spelling, all of which are necessary to create a winning entry.  
(what is snake spit, and what does it have to do with the word Gleek?  I also changed sentence 2 and 3, but that is only my opinion.)

Meet Cody Boggs aka Matso, the smartest math whiz in the school and a bit of a bully. He loves to eat and everybody can tell by looking at him because he'll eat anything. When Matso enters the fair with a strange food experiment, Gleek becomes suspicious and discovers Matso breaking lots of rules. 
(Why is he suspicious?  How does he find out he is breaking rules?) These are good questions, it means you've intrigued me. 

Gleek wants to report Matso anonymously, but doesn't know how to submit an article to the school paper, much less how to write one.(Who does he report it too?) The closer Gleek gets to finding out Matso's secrets causes him to fear for his safety. Will Gleek find out a way to expose Matso before the judges (can you tell us who the judges are?)of the Science Fair award the prizes? And will he do so with his limbs still intact?

Christie Wright Wild
WEBSITE:  http://www.christiewrightwild.com
BLOG:  http://www.christiewrightwild.blogspot.com
 
 
Okay Christie, I have to say not much room for improvement here, other than try to give a little more information, you have got my attention, but I'd like to know a little more. I guess I'll have to read the book to find out. I liked it. You have all the vital information, and I found myself asking questions which only reading the book will answer. How about you guys? Did you pick up something I didn't? Any kind words of advice?

4 comments:

  1. just a quick check in, my Worst Movie Ever blog post will be up tomorrow. I promised Christie I'd post her synopsis today. So check back again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great story! I can't imagine that it won't strike some interest. I saw two sentences in the last paragraph that aren't quite right.
    1)The closer Gleek gets to finding out Matso's secrets causes him to fear for his safety.
    (maybe: The closer Gleek gets to discovering Matso's secrets, the more he has to fear for his own safety.)
    2)Will Gleek find out a way to expose Matso before the judges
    (I'd personally drop the 'out' in find out.)
    Also- I'm missing a little more information about what Gleek's fearing. I think 'his safety' is a little bit to vague. Will he just get punched in the nose or is there more at stake?
    But the query really grabs my interest! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this! I agree with Cynthia about snake-spit - I didn't get that reference either. Otherwise, really nice work!

    ReplyDelete