Blog

Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Up and Running



I hope everyone has faired well through Hurrican Irene.  Thankfully in the Rhode Island area she decided to fizzle out a little.  We have had a lot of trees down and many people have been without power. Luckly my house didn't lose power, but we played games of monopoly with the kids anyway.  After monopoly since we didn't lose power my oldest wanted to make remake Robo.  Robo is a lego kit where you make a robot. Yes literally.  It took my husband all day, and he needed the lap top to build it.  Now all that needs to be done is program Robo also with the lap top.  Needles to say I got no editing done on my work in progress. Oh well, I did the Wii fit instead.  It felt good to move my body again. 

We also got the call that the first day of school was canceled (they were supposed to start Monday.)  Monday we got the call saying school has been canceled until further notice.  I'm hoping my the time this post airs they are back to school.  My guess is one of the schools lost power. I wouldn't be surprised because Monday I couldn't go to work because we lost power there too.  I went in on Tuesday and expected to do what I can while the generator had us half up.  Luckily over the lunch hour we got power back. Yay, I can get a full day's pay. 

So there you have it.  We survived.  My house is safe; we only lost one tree which never came down, but is leaning against another and is coming down on Wednesday when the tree guy comes.  The cabin is fine, just cleaning up the lawn, and getting ready for Labor Day.  Hey, that reminds me.  Did you sign up for the Labor Day Blogfest?  The link is closed but that doesn't mean you can't particitpate.  September 6  is the day of the Blog fest.  Click the link to find out more!

Have a safe and happy Clean up!

12 comments:

  1. Poor tree, it's hard post hurricane season to learn about trees going away even if safety is involved. I blame LOTR for making me think every tree is just a sleeping Ent.

    How disappointed were your kids that school was canceled? I think I would have been ecstatic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fellow Campaigner, here! So glad you survived the hurricane. We didn't get hit as hard in DC as they predicted either. Trees down, many lost power, but we were relatively unaffected where I live. Best of luck getting in that editing! (That's what I need to do).

    Look forward to getting to know you better through the Campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on surviving the storm! That was one crazy storm. I bet your kids loved getting school delayed! They're going to remember it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on surviving the storm. We can now say we are glad she has gone and not coming back. I loved scouting around on your blog. We have some of the same book interests (I read your book list). The house your sister and father are going to live in looks beautiful. So, you are in Rhode Island. Are you going to the Encore Workshop at Providence College?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are okay after Irene.

    I'm a fellow campaigner and new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Robo lego kit is so cool. My son is the one who does models... of all kinds. I bet he'd love that one.

    I'm so glad you weathered the storm, but I'm sorry you're losing a tree. And glad you didn't miss much work either. Hope school is back in session now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. School opens Tuesday 6th after Labor Day! So far school hasn't even opened and they have a week to make up. I sure hope it's not a bad winter! We bought the kit at Toys-R-Us. You can probly get it on Amazon too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maeve, the house posted isn't the actual house. Just a picture. It is big though like that one. I forgot to take pictures while I was there. One reason because there are already tons that my sister and dad have, it's not my house so I figured, why bother?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need a storm to delay some of the stuff in my life. *knock on wood* (I didnt meant that Universe!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy you survived the storm. I totally forgot to link up for the Labor Day thing. I may be a rogue participant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you're okay.

    Three years ago the first day or two of school was cancelled in my area. It almost happened this time, too, but Irene shifted away from us.

    I'm a fellow campaigner, in a different group than though, dropping in to say hi.

    ReplyDelete