Blog

Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

What's old is new again!




I have been busy lately.  School has finally started, CCD has started this week, and I've been working hard with edits on my manuscript.  I'm hoping to finish round one of edits by Halloween, but I doubt it because I promised my son that I would make his Halloween costume this year, so I need to set time aside for that.  I have all the pieces cut out, now all I have to do is sew it together. 

I haven't sewed in a few years so the excitement and the novelty is still new in me.  I've sewn many things over the years, a costume for my oldest when he was a baby, pillows, purse, pocket book, a large window cushion, a dress and the usual hemmed clothes.  Over the years I have lost time though.  This year thanks to a friend of mine my interested has been found again. 

You see I let a very good friend of mine borrow my machine, and by accident it has been destroyed.  She thought it would be safe leaving it outside my cabin in a cooler, and it would have been if I had known she put it there so I could pick it up, but I didn't.  It rained hard for two days.  A few days later I found my sewing machine in six inches of water.  I saw a few shades of red. 

Have I forgiven my friend?  Oh course, stuff happens, no one got hurt, we are still very close, and I still love her.  It's an object, not a human, and yes she took me shopping and replaced my machine. Now I have a new sewing machine and I'm all excited to sew something, anything. 

I sat down with my son and cut the pattern out with him for his costume then sat down and read all the sewing instructions again.  Understanding what needed to be done and why came back to me like riding a bike.  I can't wait to get started on the sewing now that everything is prepped.  

It's a little like writing; when you walk away from a material you have worked so hard on you become numb to it, it isn't fresh and new anymore, but when you walk away and leave it for a while then come back  the excitement is back, the novelty is new again and you can't wait to dig in and tackle the project. 

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad everything worked out with the sewing machine, and good luck with the costume. My kids would NOT want to wear anything I made.

    Also, I totally agree with walking away and coming back not so numb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the costume. Here is how I sew: glue, staples, or duct tape :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My maternal grandma made me a number of Halloween costumes when I was younger, and made a lot of clothes for my mother and her siblings growing up. I have to admire people who know how to operate a sewing machine, since I could never figure them out and always sew everything, even bigger projects, by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could never get over my phobia of sewing machines. Hand sewing is fantastic for me because I can sit and listen to the tv or radio. The teasing I get from my friends for acting like a little granny by hand sewing...yeah not so easy to accommodate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I watched my mother do small projects. I learned by taking a sewing class though. I always wanted to sew, it's a lost art, so is knitting. It was really fun. I tried knitting and croachet, and found out I am really BAD. It's fun to experiment. Many of many friends love scrap booking- me, I'll give you my pictures- you do it for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny how we can relate to having a lot on our plate. I'm sure your son appreciates the time you take making his costume. That's a rarity these days. Lol have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, true and I love the analogy! Sorry about your older machine, but congratulations on the new one. I hope the costume comes out great. Maybe you could share a picture with us when you have finished. I used to make costumes for my children when they were young. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was so nice of your friend to replace the machine. :)

    I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the costume!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to your picks for the blogfest on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy that you have a new sewing machine. I'm glad you forgave your friend. :) I'm a new follower form the campaign. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you got your sewing machine replaced and all is good with your friend. I wish I knew how to sew. I was all thumbs in home ec class.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For a lot of years, the only sewing I did was my kids' Halloween costumes. That's the funnest kind of sewing there is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to sew my son's Halloween costumes too. That was so much fun. I grew up sewing, and I've sewn a lot of the same things you have. I'm glad your friend bought you a new sewing machine and that an accident didn't come between your friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best of luck with the costume! I sew only at halloween (because I figure it doesn't matter if I make a mess of it since it'll be dark out!). I love doing it because it's a novelty for me.

    ReplyDelete