Blog

Blog

Monday, November 28, 2011

Oh the Agony

It's that time again.  No not Christmas time, although it is that time of year as well.  No I'm talking about query time.  That's right, my baby has flown the coup and landed in a few agents inbox.  The suspense on how they are doing in the big world of publishing is trying.

I worry about my baby.  Is it standing out against the others queries in the crowded inbox?  Is it playing nice with the agents, letting them read and enjoy, letting them love the character's like I love them?  Are the agents able to see what my baby is, what my baby can become? And how long do I wait until I give up and call on those other agents? 

I know you have at one time or another felt the same way.  I've tried to spend this time while I wait to see how my baby is doing by researching more agents, and working on my WIP.  I also have been blogging.

What do you do to pass the time while waiting?  Share with me, let me know I'm not alone, because I know you're out there wondering the same. :-)

8 comments:

  1. I think waiting is the hardest part. Of course, I am more than averagely impatient :) What I TRY to do (with varying degrees of success!) is get right to work on new projects and focus on them, so I feel productive and like even if the one that's out there doesn't get picked up, at least I'm working on something new that might. It's hard though. And I procrastinate by blogging :) Best of luck with your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to start querying today. If I get around to it. Working on my SNI is more fun than researching agents and sending out the necessary stuff. :D

    Heck, cleaning toilets is more fun. Hmmm. Come to think of it. That's also something I need to do today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to think of anything else when you're querying. I think this Tahereh Mafi post sums it up well http://www.stiryourtea.blogspot.com/search?q=signs+querying

    ReplyDelete
  4. I jumped into the query pool this morning. Eep! I dove into my other wip, but I'm also critiquing a lot of other people's work because I still have my editing eyes on. Then there's about 18 books I have from the library I need to plow through before the 18th when they're due.

    When I queried before, I would get away from the computer. I'd pick one day when I'd ask my hubby to take the laptop with him to work so I wasn't tempted to hit the refresh button on my email every ten seconds. It gave me the opportunity to read other things, and clean my house, which most of the time needs desperate attention.

    Good luck! I'm right here with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time I queried, I got on the computer at least ten times a day to check my e-mails. After two days of not hearing anything, I felt like I was going to burst! I'm not a patient person. So, now I tell myself that it will take at least 1 and 1/2 months (and believe it) and turn to another WIP or other hobbies and things I've been neglecting.
    And start raiding the chocolate stash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :hugs: It's tough putting your book out there in the world. Yay you for doing it. I think you're doing all you can do while you're querying - namely researching and working. Nothing you can do to stop the checking email thing. It's just part of the process. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. EVERYTHING in publishing is waiting.
    EVEN when you have an agent, because they do the same thing with your MS that you did to get them.

    When you sign a book deal, STILL waiting. PUblication dates to deal with, cover art to wait for. IT's all a WAY lot of waiting.

    ReplyDelete