Blog

Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Picking the Brain of an Author


Have you ever wanted to pick the brain of an author you admire?  I have, but for me it's not a new author, or even a recently dubbed famous author.  I want to pick the brains of authors of the classics.  Many of you know by now that in college I was a English Literature major, so I got a chance to read many of the classics. 

There are two stories that have stayed with me, even all these years later.  The stories are not even novels, but short stories by very well know authors.  Many people don't read short stories today, or study them so I wonder how many people even heard of these stories.  The stories are The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne.





I love these stories.  The Yellow Wallpaper is a story about a young mother and wife who is ill.  Personally I feel the reason for her illness can be interpreted in many ways.  It's a story which makes you think. There is so much between the lines of the written word which only Charlotte knows the real meaning of.  It fascinates me.  Please if you get the chance it is a must read.



As for Young Goodman Brown, oh the layers are endless, and the interpretation is intriguing. The story is about a man who takes a walk into the woods.  I can't give to much more away without giving away the story, so I'll only say this, good vs evil.  Have I peaked your interest?  Go read, you'll be glad you did.

These are the authors and their works I'd love to discuss with them.  What about you?  I'd love to hear which author you would love to pick the brains of and what work you would discuss with them.  Tell me in the comments.  I'd love to make another post with a list of novels/short stories for discussion.

3 comments:

  1. I would prefer to only take a part of an author's brain, thank you. I might replace my flaws with their flaws. :p

    But one piece from Neil Shusterman, one piece from JK Rowlings, two pieces from that one duo that wrote Trail by Journal--

    -googles "pick brain"- You didn't meant it literally? Oh well. I'll just put this knife away and pick someone else's brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Yellow Wallpaper is an excellent short story. I read it in college and it haunts me till this day. It is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check these out. Right now, the author that I would love to pick her brain is, Jo Knowles. I have read three of her books I am looking forward to reading her fourth.

    ReplyDelete