Blog

Blog

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Cards vs Digital Cards



These days with so many people out of work, looking for better work, in school, and the economy just in the muck, I've noticed a change this year so far in holiday cards. There are many people in my family who love to send cards for every holiday. Me? I'm not one of them. I usually don't even attached a birthday card to the gift. No, I'm not cheap. I just rather spend the money on the gift then  three dollars and fifty cents on a card the person is going to throw out anyway.

I will recant that thought and feeling when it comes to Christmas, and Hanuka cards though. I am a firm believer in those cards being sent. I find it is the only time you hear from most people these days and it's nice to know that a little effort was put into it. It is December 22, and I haven't even received half of the amount of cards I usually get. Now, are people like me and just late? Or are they going to free E-cards?  I think E-cards, because I am getting more and more of them lately.

I really can't blame people for going that route, especially since cards and stamps are costing so much more today, and I have just found out that starting in January stamps are going up to .45 cents, but it doesn't seem fair. Since I have young kids people have come to expect the picture holiday card. Don't they realize that they are just as expensive for me as it is for them, maybe even more so since I have small kids? Okay they aren't so small anymore, but hey they are still young enough to need a babysitter, so in my eyes they are young in my eyes.

I don't mean this post to sound like I'm complaining, I actually not. I just received another E-card and it got me thinking about what direction holiday cards are going in these days? What do you think? What is your take on this? Do you see yourself going the way of E-cards for your holiday cards? I'd love to know.

5 comments:

  1. Yes...I'm doing e-cards. I hate throwing away cards when I get them. Guess I'm buying into the guilty-green concept. I just did a jib-jab animated e-card. I like making people laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do cards. Ever. Well, for Mother's Day and Father's Day. Once in awhile for birthdays. And I like to give my husband cards for V-day and his birthday. But in general...I just don't do cards. At Christmas time, honestly, it's part laziness. There are so many people I would have to give a card to if I gave a card to one...

    As far as e-cards go, I like them. I like the real thing better, though. But e-cards are fun, and with the way the economy is and how busy everyone's lives are and how tied into technology we are, I think e-cards are inescapable. Though most of the cards I receive are real, live cards delivered by good old USPS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem that I loose cards I get. I need a place to keep them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still send Christmas cards, although the amount we receive is grows smaller every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We send cards - but we make them ourselves. They aren't always perfect and maybe sometimes more that a little creative (my 4-year-old was in charge of the glitter paint this year), but its our way of giving friends and family a little piece of ourselves. Plus - its a great Advent project for the kids!

    ReplyDelete