Blog

Blog

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Do You Have ADHD When It Comes To Writing To?

I swear when it comes to writing I have ADHD.  My usual routine starts with an idea, so I start writing. My first idea I loved, so I wrote to the end.  Once I finished I did the usual. I edited, I wrote my synopsis and I queried.  Guess what, it went no where.  Not one agent like it.  Oh well, it was after all my first.

After that heart breaking experience I wrote again.  It didn't feel right, so I put it aside and started again.  That one didn't feel right either, so I put that one aside, and started again.  The third time I started to think something was wrong with me.  The first time around I felt the magic, I fell in love with my characters.  What was wrong with me.  I knew a story was there, but none of the plots were defined enough, and I wasn't sure where I wanted to go. 

Then I started Light Weight, (which I'm sure the title will change in time) and I fell in love.  I loved my idea and my story was defined.  I knew exactly where I wanted to go and how I wanted to get there.  Looking back at my WIP that are sitting waiting for me to open them up again I realize what the problem is.  I love the idea, but the idea isn't finished.  The plot isn't defined and when the plot isn't defined, you don't have a story, you only have part of a story.

I've was deciding to put on hold my WIP again. I hate to say that, but for the good of my WIP and my writing I felt that was the best move.  Until I sat down again and gave it another go.  My plot is more defined. Don't get me wrong it's not totally there but much closer then it was. I really love this story, more then most.  Part of my problem is I see this story as a series and I really don't know how to do that yet which is why the plot is all over the place. I still need to learn to pace myself for that long haul of an idea.

Part of me wants to pick up something I wrote years ago. It would be so much easier.  It's written long hand, filling up a note book or two.  But I still want to work on my current WIP at the same time.  I don't believe in working on two at one time. I want to put all more focus and effort into one at a time.
Tell me how many WIP do you have lying around?  Have you had a hard time feeling the love for your work? Tell me so I know I'm not alone in this ADHD world of writing. How many WIP do you work on at one time?

2 comments:

  1. I only work on one thing at a time. There's this paranoia I can't shake that if I do more than one the voices will blend across projects and ruin both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to switch from novel beginning to novel beginning at one point, not having the dedication to stick with one past Chapter Three.

    But now I'm firmly dedicated to one project at a time. One.

    ReplyDelete