Blog

Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Beauty of Critique Partners



Many of us have critique partners. They are those wonderful people we turn to for advice and help when we are writing our novels. They help open our eyes to the flaws in our works we can't see ourselves. Sometimes they are nice, sometimes helpful, sometimes inspiring, and sometimes they rip us to shreds.

So how do you know if you have a good partner? It's not always easy to know until you have gone through the trenches with them. And by trenches I mean read, critiqued, ripped each others work apart and come out friends.  Yes, that's right. You tear their work apart, tell them why it doesn't work and are brutally honest, in a nice way of course, and they say Thank You.

I have found with my critique partners just that. In fact one of my partners entered the same contest I did. Now, remember we are competing against each other and the prize was a full or partial request from a agent who is currently closed to submissions. Hey this is big.

So I laughed when I got an email from my critique partner asking for help with her entry. So now I'm sure you are dying to know what I did. Well, what did you think I did? I helped her of course. Why? Because part of the contest was to critque others work to make it better before you entered the contest. Hey, we are all in this together remember? If we are not here for each other who will be?

Have you ever competed with a critique partner for the same agent? Have you ever entered the same contest? How did you handle it? Did your partnership make it though, or did it ruin it for you?




10 comments:

  1. No, never have. I don't know how I'd feel rooting for me to win and them to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and my cp's always enter contests together. In fact I'm in one with two of them right now. And not only do we enter together, we give each other a head's up of a contest coming up in case any of us are interested. Then if we all get in (eep!) I religiously check their entries as much as mine, rooting for them just as badly.

    Not only that, but my cp's are so awesome, that when one of us does get a full or partial request, they do a blog post celebrating.

    Aren't they amazing?

    And even in contests when I didn't win anything, I had a blast just entering with them. We don't think of it as a competition, but a chance to get some feedback and have a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't competed with a critique partner yet, but I'm sure it will happen at some point. And I'm sure we will help each other out and still come out as friends. Yay for awesome CPs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Critique Partners and Beta Readers. There should be a holiday for them. =)

    I've never competed with one but we wrote YA and I'm sure she submitted to the same agents as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, going through it now :) It's so exciting seeing my cps get requests, especially because I've read their work and know how awesome their writing is and how much they deserve the chance to move forward, hoping I helped a little bit along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have a critique group, and they are wonderful! They have helped me grow as a writer, and I simply can't thank them enough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Critique partners are wonderful, although I do agree... these could be some tricky situations. Honestly tho - I think if you have the right kind of CP's you're always cheering each other on and helping each other out, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we queried the same agent (unknowingly) - she got a request for revisions, I got a rejection. But I'm happy for her! I don't think its really a 'competition' as such. Our writing styles are quite different and a lot of it depends on the agent's tastes. We cheer each other on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great when you find such good CPs like that! I've never competed with mine, though. I can't imagine it being a problem, though. I wish them all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Help of course and cheer each other on--in good times and bad. Good luck with your entry.

    ReplyDelete