Blog

Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

I've Come a Long Way Baby .....

....with a long way to go.


I have to boast a little bit today. I have been thinking of all the things writerly (according to spell check this isn't a word, but I like the sound of it) that I have accomplished lately and I have to say I'm proud of myself.  We all have obstacles we must face in our day to day lives. Some are huge while some are little mountains we must travel over in order to get to where we want to go.

Today I am going to celebrate a small mountain that I had to go over. The mountain of Technology. Yes, I know it sounds silly, but when I first met Technology we didn't get along. I was terrified that I couldn't figure it out. I was scared I wasn't going to be able to work that darn cell phone, or computer. I mastered my cell phone, and all the other little gadgets my husband has lying around the house. (He is a technology buff, so if it's out there we have it, even if we don't really need it.)

Then I decided that if I wanted to write I needed to have a platform. I had to look technology in the face again. I wanted a blog/web page all my own, but I didn't know how to do it. My husband made it very clear that although he supports my writing, he wants nothing to do with helping me out on this. Which is really fine because he is more right brain and I am more left. (Did I get that right? Art and language is on the left side of the brain and math and science is more on the right? Yeah, I think that's right) Anyway, I was on my own.



I. Was. Terrified. I had no idea what I was doing. I had no idea which direction to go in to look for help. I had so many questions. But I trailed ahead anyway.  I opened up an account with google and it's been a learning game ever since.  Have I made some mistakes? Oh yeah, ask Laura Barnes who did a wonderful job of critiquing my blog. (Click on her name to see what she said.) The point is though is that I knew enough to ask for help. That is key isn't it when learning something new? Know when you need help and don't be afraid to ask for it. 

So I want to thank all of my blogger friends out there, thank you for your help and guidance in this great writing journey of mine, especially with this technology blog part of it. Because if not for you guys, my blog would still need work, and I would never have figured this thing out. Is my blog done evolving though? I hope not, it needs to grow as I do as a writer and will.

Is there more to learn? Oh, yes there is, but I never knew how much fun I would have trying and I didn't have to ask my husband for help. See, I've come a long way, and I'm looking forward to how much more I have to learn.

How about you, what have you learned along the way in this blogger world? Or just in general that you were afraid to do before?

8 comments:

  1. All I can say is that I'm glad someone bothered to write Blogging for Dummies. The book was written for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing a great job! Laura is wonderful isn't she? And never fear - you're not alone. Technology terrifies me too and I'm constantly feeling really old because things my kids get so easily make absolutely no sense to me at all. But I'm like you... I just keep trailing ahead... and asking for help :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Blogging was definitely intimidating for me when I first started out because even though I grew up with computers, basically, I'm not all that tech savvy. It's been so much fun to figure it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go for setting up your blog and all, and especially for celebrating that accomplishment! There's things technology-wise that I still struggle to figure out too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a bit late in replying but I have to tell you how awesome you are doing. This is a great post and you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a bit late in replying but I have to tell you how awesome you are doing. This is a great post and you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a bit late in replying but I have to tell you how awesome you are doing. This is a great post and you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a bit late in replying but I have to tell you how awesome you are doing. This is a great post and you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete