Blog

Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

What Happened to Birthdays?



Yes, this is a question I have been asking myself lately. You see my boys are getting bigger. They are no longer little boys when they are almost as tall as their mother. Which I might add is a good thing at their age because I am not a very tall person.

My oldest is 10 and my youngest is turning 9 in another week or two and I have noticed something about birthday parties this year. People aren't having them. I know for a fact that one of my friends decided to stop having the kids party. Now, I can't speak for parents everywhere, but around here for some reason parents don't RSVP even when asked on the invitation. I'm I guilty of this? Sure once in a while I have slipped, but every time? No. That was one of the reason why my friend stopped having kid parties for her boys. People don't RSVP and she had no idea no one was going to show. At other times, which has happened to me people didn't RSVP then they would show up. It's very frustrating.



This year my son couldn't even decide who he wanted to invite. Go figure. I finally got a few names out of him and decided to have it at home instead of out. More work, but less money. Needless to say my husband and I decided this is the last year for kids parties. Parties are expensive. Part of me thinks this is one of the reason why people aren't having them. Then I got to thinking, they are older now at what age did you stop having parties for kids? I guess my age is showing because I can't remember.

How about you? What age are your kids and do you have kids parties for them? 

8 comments:

  1. My son turned 12 yesterday and we have no parties. My daughter turned 16 in Nov. and I informed them both no more parties. They were fine with that. They are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kid's birthday parties are still big where I used to live (Ohio). My grandkids parties though are not 'over the top. And I too get very annoyed with no response to RSVP, especially with the 'regrets only' response. I mean, how hard is it to call and say "no"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around the 5th grade, my kids didn't want so-called 'parties' anymore. Instead, my daughter likes to invite 2 or 3 friends to spend the night. They watch movies and talk a lot (what teenage girls so do). My son (14)decided he was too old for parties years ago. Now he just wants to go with a friend or two for whatever activity he chooses - anything from hiking, amusement park, bowling, booting - just depends on the year.
    Oh- and I find that awful with the RSVP thing! How can you plan anything if you don't have any clue how many kids will be there? Rude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, my stepdaughter turns 8 in April. We live in Northern VA, and I don't know if it's the area we're in or what, but kids have HUGE parties. Last year, we rented a pavillion at a petting zoo and not only had to invite her entire 1st grade class, but all the kids at daycare too.

    I am hoping that soon she'll want to do things that don't require us to spend $1k on the party alone. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many kids feel they are too grown up for parties. And they are costly. Life has Ltd stages. Childhood seems to rush thrum them. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're going to do a party for our 5 year old this year, but I'm thinking we'll just do a party at our house with Nerf guns and lunch, and cake. Last year was the first year I did a party for him, and since I didn't want to deal with RsvP, I just called everyone and got their answer right away. This year, I'll email b/c people seem more likely to email you back than call.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was ten, I started having slumber parties for my birthday. Five girl friends and I would pig out on pizza and candy and watch rom coms. I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had a party for my 7 year old daughter yesterday, at home with 8 little girls, it was fun, but at home parties are a lot of work :) My son will be 9 this summer and we will have a party. I'm very into celebrating birthdays and hope we do something for our kids every year, my husband's family scoffs every year, but they are required to come :)

    ReplyDelete