Blog

Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Writing is Hard Work



I wonder how many people understand the time and effort it takes to write that perfect novel, edit it, find the perfect critique partners and do the research to find the right agent? When I tell family members about my writing dreams and all I do to make my dream come true the question I get asked the most is when do you find the time to write?

Now this question doesn't bother me, because that tells me they know it takes time to get the words on the paper. But I wonder if they realize how much time we spend working towards a goal?

I've been very busy lately polishing up my manuscript, my query letter and synopsis. I've also been researching agents I haven't queried before and refreshing myself on who is looking for what, and what is on market these days and I got to thinking:



 When you started out writing did you know the non-writing part would take up so much of your time? I have to be honest, I didn't. There is so much information out there to weed through, and so many agents to research. Then, if you want to do it right you need to not only write a killer query, you need to personalize it. Sorry guys, stock query will not work here. Agents want to know that you did your homework and rightfully so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving every once of information I have learned about what agents are out there and who they work for and who their clients are, but I have to also be honest. I didn't realize how much work it would be. Or how much fun I would have doing it!


Did you know it was going to be so much work? What part of the process do you enjoy the most?

2 comments:

  1. I had NO idea it would be so much work.
    I remember when I finished my first rough draft and I thought - WOW that wasn't as hard as I thought.
    And then the REAL work began.
    Getting the story down is SUCH a small part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty clueless, which looking back, was nice for writing my first novel. My favorite part of the process is probably fleshing out new ideas and definitely typing "The End" on a manuscript. :)

    ReplyDelete